U10s Blacks with late fightback

img_0544Woodkirk Valley U10s Blacks came from behind to steal a hard fought victory on the road at Farsley Celtic’s Throstle Nest ground on the last Sunday of September.

The home side dominated the early exchanges, forcing Woodkirk keeper Cavan Appleyard into a fingertip save on five minutes, the visiting stopper reacting quickly to turn a sharp shot over the bar. Celtic continued to dominate, hitting the bar and post with two separate long range efforts in the next two minutes.

Woodkirk started to make their presence felt on ten minutes when Freddie Hobson sent a free kick flashing just wide.  Hobson was involved again moments later, directing an instinctive shot against the post. Woodkirk striker Charlie Mawson was quick to react, steering the ball home to put the away side one up.

The home side’s nominated ‘Opposition Man of the Match’ Hobson proved dangerous again just after the restart, his low shot from a Mawson through ball forcing the home keeper into a brave block.

Despite dominating for the previous 15 minutes, Woodkirk conceded an unexpected equaliser against the run of play just before the break as Celtic drew level from a low shot.

Celtic began to dominate in the early part of the second period, sending a thunderous shot just wide and forcing Appleyard to save smartly with his feet in quick succession. Woodkirk responded admirably, midfield engine Will Shand sending a speculative shot just wide following a mazy run.

Celtic took the lead for the first time moments later when a superb Appleyard stop fell kindly at the feet of a lucky Celtic striker who tapped home to put the home side ahead. Woodkirk reacted bravely, defender Max Houlker smashing a shot just wide on a rare foray upfield. Five minutes later the visitors drew level, when Mawson ran and turned to send a pinpoint shot just inside the post.

The following period was dominated by a furious midfield scrap, tough tackling Jack Drury and Freddie Dearden keeping the home side at bay.

The visitors stole the show five minutes from time when ‘Parents Man of the Match’ Mawson struck a sharp shot straight at the keeper. Hobson followed up as the keeper spilled the ball, forcing the keeper into a second low stop. The unlucky home keeper spilled the ball again, this time into the path of oncoming Woodkirk defender Max Hewitt who fired home from close range, sending the visiting supporters wild.