Refereeing Decisions Costly for U13’s


New Park Bulldogs vs Woodkirk Valley U13’s (25th September 2016)

Two penalty decisions that went the wrong way for our U13’s, one in each half, were to prove to be decisive in their first loss of the season.

New Park took the lead on 5 minutes after Woodkirk had arguably started the better team but a quick break caught the defence napping and Joel was unable to make the save. 1-0 New Park.
The next period of the game was very even with the majority of battles being played out in the midfield area.  Harry was his usual dynamic self and was ably assisted by Harrison who tried to control the game with his ball playing.  Farrahn injected some much needed desire and work rate when he came on to the field and Woodkirk began to dominate.  However, on 22 mins New Park broke well and a superbly timed challenge from Tony resulted in a penalty for New Park.  The New Park and Woodkirk coaches we left stunned but with the penalty converted New Park took a 2-0 lead.
The Woodkirk players did not allow there heads to go down and on 30 mins their hard work was rewarded.  The ball was won in midfield by Harrison who played the ball to Kofi.  Kofi’s hold up play had been fantastic throughout the first half and played a lovely ball into the path of Alex who finished high into the net.

HT – 2-1 New Park.

The second half started with Woodkirk immediately under pressure from a number of high balls played by the New Park number 10.  He was a very strong, powerful player who could launch the ball a mile and in the early exchanges of the second period he was the difference between the 2 sides.
On 45 minutes the referee missed an obvious foul on our centre back Ben as he was tripped inside the area and to add insult to injury the referee pointed to the spot instead and awarded New Park their second penalty of the game.  The penalty was converted and New Park found themselves 3-1 to the good.  New Park’s coaches were again, extremely sympathetic and they should take plenty of credit for their supporting behaviour.
Woodkirk shook off their disappointment and started to play some nice football – on 50 mins some great high pressing forced the New Park defence into a mistake and a ball in to the box from Harry resulted in a goal for Kofi. 3-2 New Park.
Straight from the KO Woodkirk went to sleep, New Park’s attack seemed to run straight through the team as they stood and watched the lead go back to 2 goals. 4-2 New Park.
Woodkirk kept pressing and did not allow theirs head to drop.  A number of good chances came and went but a moment of class from Kofi on 60 mins gave Woodkirk a glimmer of hope.  Some good build up play in midfield resulted in the ball being played to Kofi who had a little look before chipping the keeper from the edge of the box. 4-3 New Park.
For the final 5 minutes caution was thrown to the wind in the hope of snatching an equaliser.  Tony joined Kofi upfront and the defence went to a back three.  Unfortunately Woodkirk ran out of time and the game finished with their first loss of the season.

Woodkirk put in a good performance today and but for two contentious decisions may have indeed won the game.  It is fair to say that New Park are a strong, physical team and also played very well on the day.  Woodkirk worked hard, particularly in the second half, to match New Park’s desire but the size difference was sometimes difficult for the lads to overcome.  Credit has to be given to New Park who played extremely well and will no doubt be contenders for top spot in the league.

FT – 4-3 New Park

Man of the Match went to Harrison for a controlled performance in midfield.

Everyone at Woodkirk would like to wish Steve and his players all the best for the rest of the season.