Woodkirk U14’s 3 – 2 Hunslet Club U14’s

Woodkirk U14’s vs Hunslet Club – 28th January 2018

With injuries to Tony and Curley plus illness for Dermot, Woodkirk moved to a 3-5-2 formation.  The pre match warmup and team talk went well and all the lads understood their roles and  responsibilities and were positive about the formation.

Woodkik started the game well and helped out by the wind behind their backs, enjoyed some good possession and for the most part they were in the Hunslet half.  There was no doubt that Hunslet had improved since Woodkirk’s 3-10 away win in September 2017.  They also had a number of new players on show who were blessed with speed and strength.  Woodkirk were poor in front of goal during the first half and their inability to take the opportunities that were created was a constant frustration. During a two minute spell Woodkirk were made to pay as Hunslet scored against the run of play on 25 after a long ball over the top and on 26 minutes scored a fine long range effort. 0-2 Hunslet.

On 35 minutes Woodkirk were presented with a free kick 25 yards from goal which was taken by Fyn.  Fyn’s shot hit the wall but the ball fell kindly back to Fyn who hit an unstoppable shot past the Hunslet keeper. 1-2 Hunslet.  

1-2 at HT.

With the obvious exception of their finishing, Woodkirk were playing well and the new formation was working a treat.  The lads felt comfortable with the setup and although they knew the second half would be tough against a Hunslet team with high spirits playing with the wind, they knew they were still in the game.

The second half started in much the same fashion as the first  – chances came a went with once again, Woodirk creating some excellent opportunities but failing to either get a shot off or firing wide.  Woodkirk seemed to want to score the picture perfect goal but time after time, their indecision meant a Hunslet defender was able to make a challenge and clear.  On 50 mins that was to change and Fyn did what everyone had been asking for – he hit a speculative shot from 20 yards which hit the goalkeeper and went in. 2-2.

Hunslet’s threat came from their counterattacks and with the speed of their wide men Woodkirk had to be on constant alert.  There was some very good football being played by both teams but Woodkirk enjoyed most of the ball.  Following Fyn’s goal Woodkirk created a number of good opportunities, the pick of which was a ball played from wide into an unmarked Brad who hit the bar from 5 yards.  With chances coming and going it seemed that the game would end in a draw but in the final minutes of the game Brad made amends for his earlier miss with a coolly taken left foot effort from 10 yards.

3-2 Woodkirk at FT.

In a game where Woodkirk found themselves 0-2 down, the lads showed great spirit and desire to get the game back to level pegging and ultimately go on to win it.  Sam showed just why he wears the Captains armband and he ran himself into the ground.  Credit goes to each and everyone of the lads for the way in which they adapted to a new formation and never let their heads drop even at two nil down.  Today’s MoM went to Harry – from the first whistle to the last he set the tone for the whole team with his tenacious tacking and work ethic.   

Although they were unable to play through injury – big thanks go to Tony and Curley for coming along to support their teammates.  The lads and manager really appreciate it and it shows what a tight bunch our U14’s are.