Wolves beat Stallions

Following last weeks away win against the Chargers, Woodkirk stepped out on their home ground at Manor Croft to take on the Stallions.  Much the same as their sister team, the Stallions looked to get the ball forward at every opportunity and in footballing terms, Woodkirk were far the better team.  However, the Stallions competed well in each and every challenge and their lone striker provided them with real strength and pace.

Woodkirk took the lead after some good work in midfield and a through ball from Dermot which was despatched past the goalkeeper by Brad. 1-0 Woodkirk on 10 mins.

Brad then went on to bag his second of the game with an outrageous strike from just outside the 18 yard area. 2-0 Woodkirk on 19 mins.

Woodkirk were well in control but were unable to trouble the Stallions keeper and on 30 mins they paid the price.  A long ball over the Woodkirk defense was enough to set the Stallions striker away and poor positioning meant he had the easy task of finding the net.  2-1 Woodkirk on 30 mins.

2-1 at HT.

The second half was littered with freekicks and although some of the challenges were strong the game was played in good spirits by both sets of lads.  Following an enforced reshuffle due to injury to Ben, a mistake allowed the Stallions striker to run at JP who was helpless to prevent the equaliser.  2-2 on 66 mins.

The goal seemed to awaken the beast and within 60 seconds Woodkirk were back in the lead.  Some good interplay between Tulips and Brad saw Brad race towards goal and fire home to complete his hat-trick. 3-2 on 67 mins.

3-2 at FT.

A well deserved victory for Woodkirk but one in which they allowed the opposition back into a game when the result should never have been in doubt.

MoM went to Brad for a fine display in supporting Tulips upfront and grabbing his hat-trick.  A special mention goes to Tony who was immense at the back and but for Brad’s hat-trick would have run him close to the award.

Next Sunday Woodkirk are at home to Garforth Rangers.