Jekyll & Hyde Performance from U14’s

Woodkirk Valley U14’s vs Sherburn White Rose – Thursday 12th April 2018

A classic ‘game of two halves’ performance from Woodkirk in a 6:30pm KO home game for our U14’s.  With fifteen players available and the return of Harry from holiday, competition for a place in the starting eleven was hot and the four starting on the bench could count themselves unlucky but would play a part in the game.  From the reverse fixture earlier in the season which Woodkirk won 0-2, they were acutely aware that Sherburn would be no pushovers and indeed their performance that day certainly didn’t match their lowly league position.  Woodkirk would have to be on their game.      

Woodkirk started the first half poorly and things did not improve for the full 35 minutes. From individuals making poor decisions and indecisive team play there was only Tony that stood out as he won header after header.  In footballing terms Sherburn offered little to trouble Woodkirk but what they had in abundance was heart and desire and on 31 minutes were rewarded for their efforts with the opening goal of the game. 0-1 Sherburn and it stayed that way to the half time whistle.

The Woodkirk players didn’t need the Manager to tell them the first half performance was nowhere near what was required and with a tweak to the formation they were sent out for the second half to right a few wrongs.  From the start of the second half Woodkirk looked like a different team and began to dominate the game with some nice passing moves which was pleasing to see on such a heavy pitch.  Sherburn did, however, still pose a threat on the counter attack with their physical power and on 40 minutes JP pulled off a superb instinctive left handed save from close range to keep the game at 0-1.  This only seemed to spur Woodkirk on and two minutes later they found themselves level after a fine cross from Dermot found Brad in the box who converted well from close range. 1-1.

Chances came and went but it wasn’t until 52nd minute that Woodkirk finally took the lead through Sam who latched onto a quick throw from Ben and fired low to the keepers right from fifteen yards. 2-1 Woodkirk.

Woodkirk were now dominating the game and any hope Sherbun had of a comeback was quashed inside two minutes by two moments of individual brilliance from Brad.  On 59 minutes Harrison played the ball to Brad who held off a Sherburn defender before despatching a well hit left foot drive past the keeper. Immediately after the restart Woodkirk recovered the ball and from 30 yards Brad unleashed a rocket of a shot that the keeper was helpless to stop.  Brad completing another hat-trick with another contender for goal of the season on 60 minutes.  4-1 Woodkirk.

Woodkirk went on to score three more goals; a penalty from Harrison on 69 minutes, a superb individual effort from Dermot on 70 minutes and in injury time Alex scored a nice left footed drive from just inside the box.  Prior to Alex’s goal Sherburn capitalised on a defensive error which meant the final score was 7-2 to Woodkirk.

From such a poor first half display Woodkirk’s players did themselves, their parents and Manager proud in the second half and all 15 players contributed to the win. Standout performers were Brad, Tino, Fyn and Dermot but the MoM went to Tony for a quality defensive performance throughout the game.

With three league games left Woodkirk need three wins to ensure they finish top of Division 2 and their next fixture comes as soon as Tuesday 17th at home to Robin Hood.